The Top Programming Languages to Learn Right Now
PythonPut simply, Python is one of the most useful additions to any skill set, and is the perfect language to learn if you’re new to the world of programming. It’s easy to learn, easy to use and has a wide range of applications, thanks to its flexibility. Python has a large developer community and strong library support, so you’re sure to find answers for any questions you may have as you go. It’s the perfect language for web development and developing back end services and APIs. In fact, many of the platforms you probably use on a daily basis have been built in Python, including YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and many more.
- Why learn: If you’re looking to level up your resume or get a foot into the startup world, Python is where you start!
- Difficulty: Easy! Learn for free at Codecademy.
- Why learn: It’s a sought after language in most startups and will open doors to more job opportunities.
- Difficulty: Easy! Again, Codecademy offer free courses.
SwiftSwift is a pure iOS language used to develop iOS applications. It began life as a replacement for Objective-C, and has since grown in popularity thanks to the increasing demand for Apple products. It’s even been tipped to push beyond the realms of server and systems programming, due to its speed and ease of use.
- Why learn: If you’re interested in building Apple products, and you’d like to future proof your skill set.
- Difficulty: Moderate – check out the official Apple guide to getting started.
JavaJava is one of the most popular programming languages on the planet to date. Created as an easier alternative to C++, it gained quick popularity with big enterprises and has been used to develop countless business applications, web applications and application frameworks. It’s also widely used in Android app development; in fact, many items around your home could even be run on Java, from your refrigerator to your entertainment system. Java programmers have an assured future – the popularity of this language shows no sign of slowing.
- Why learn: If you’re looking for a development job at a big organization, or you have an interest in Android app development, this is the language for you.
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate. Learn the basics at Codecademy.
GoGo is growing in popularity everyday, and it’s no surprise as to why: Go is as powerful as the name is is simple. It was developed by Google to be a programming language that could handle the complexity of the systems they were developing, without creating further issues with workflows. It combines the best aspects of functional and object oriented programming, and boasts a valuable set of in-built development tools.
- Why learn: If you’re looking at an alternative to Python, or if you’re a full-stack developer looking to expand your programming language, this is it.
- Difficulty: Moderately easy – learn more here.
This year, expand your skill set and get ahead in a way that’s right for you and your career. This article was brought to you by the technical recruiting team at Source Coders.